【 New Book Launch Event 】HKAC︱MOLESKINE︱CHI-TAK LI CROSSOVER NOTEBOOK + KAFKA BY CHI-TAK LI
Limited Edition Notebook ‧ Comics Originals Exhibition ‧ Book Signing Session ‧ Prize Game
【NEW】Signature for Exchanges ‧ 【NEW】Kafka Reading Group
Presenter: Hong Kong Arts Centre (Comix Home Base)
Special Thanks: Moleskine, Today Publications
Classics Brands Crossover ▪ Rendition By Chi-tak Li
"Grey is like my connection with Kafka."— Chi-tak Li.
With a mindful selection of short stories by renowned author Franz Kafka, Li's new book features 10 stories in his iconic comics style, including Vulture — I can never win it over, Passers — talking to strangers, Trees — reality vs illusion, Road — find your own way, Wolves — we are all wolves, Shy —Awww..., Rain — again and again, Love — I am surrounded by lances and sharp knives, War — war! war! war!, and Power — who owns it, who is the boss.
Movies, TV series, and plays were commonly adapted from Kafka's literary works, whereas Li interprets Kafka's works in a different way with his simple and delicate black and white line drawings. A mysterious world that is as blurred as grey, ambiguous, and powerless. Drawing Kafka's literature has always been one of Li's wishes, he has devoted himself to this book since 10 years ago. The new comic book is designed in pocket size, one panel on one page, and deepened the story page by page. In coincidence with the collaboration of Hong Kong Arts Centre and Moleskine, Li was invited to design a limited edition Moleskine notebook with his unique drawings on cover, paper band and postcard in the theme of ‘Kafka’.
In collaboration with Moleskine, Hong Kong Arts Centre further promotes arts and culture to bring a limited edition notebook to Hong Kong. To celebrate its 45th anniversary, the first launch of this collaboration is just the beginning. It features the renowned Hong Kong comics artist, Chi-tak Li, with his classic drawings that will surely delight you every day.
Hong Kong Arts Centre and Moleskine both act as a platform of culture and creativity to encourage all kinds of arts. Moleskine notebook has been used by artists. They treasure every page of it, as each page is made with silky acid-free paper, also conserves the importance of hand-writing/-drawing records. Return to basic—using pen and paper—to record your continuing inspiration and innovative ideas anytime and anywhere.
With the supports from Moleskine and Today Publications, Hong Kong Arts Centre (Comix Home Base) organises a series of events, including original comics exhibition, prize game to win limited edition notebook, and book signing session. Comics, art and Moleskine notebook lovers can get to know the essence of creation through the collaboration of Kafka and Moleskine, under the rendition by Chi-tak Li.
HKAC︱MOLESKINE︱CHI-TAK LI Crossover Notebook and comic book Kafka will be officially launched on 14 July 2021 at HKAC Art Shop and online store (hkacartshop.store). Overseas readers are welcomed to make order at HKAC online store!
Check the latest moves on the Facebook (@hkacchb) and Instagram (@comixhomebase) of Comix Home Base!
Kafka Comics Originals Exhibition
Date: 04.08 - 30.08.2021
Time: 09:00 - 23:00
Venue: Jockey Club Atrium, G/F to 3/F, Hong Kong Arts Centre
Hong Kong Arts Centre (Comix Home Base) exclusively presents the comics originals exhibition of book design originals and selected comics original pages from HKAC︱MOLESKINE︱CHI-TAK LI Crossover Notebook and Chi-tak Li’s latest comics Kafka. Step into the enchanting world of Kafka and explore the inquisitive spirits of Li through his exquisite works.
【NEW】Signature for Exchanges
Date: 22.08.2021 (Sun)
Time: 15:00 - 17:00 (No extension)
Venue: 3/F, Hong Kong Arts Centre
Free of charge. No online reservation. First-come, first-served.
What it takes to get the signature from comics artist Chi-tak Li?
It’s your sincerity.
Tell Chi-tak Li ‘I like your comics the most…’
Earn the precious signature with your truthful speech.
From now on (11th August), with every purchase of products by Chi-tak Li from HKAC Art Shop and online store (hkacartshop.store), you will have the chance to participate in the book signing session on 22nd August and speak to him face-to-face your thoughts.
How to join Signature for Exchanges:
- Quota of the session is 50 people.
- Queuing will be started 30 minutes before the session.
- Participants are required to show the receipt of purchasing any products of Chi-tak Li from HKAC Art Shop and online store (hkacartshop.store), dated between 11th and 22nd August. Each receipt is for one quota. Each person is limited to one quota.
- Each quota could maximum get TWO signatures signed on comic book Kafka and/or HKAC︱MOLESKINE︱CHI-TAK LI Crossover Notebook.
- To reduce the risk of the spread of COVID-19, all participants should follow the precautionary measures implemented in the venue by Hong Kong Arts Centre.
- The presenter reserves the rights of final decision on the arrangement.
【NEW】Kafka Reading Group
Date: 27.08.2021 (Fri)
Time: 20:00 - 21:30
Venue: Hong Kong Arts Centre
Conducted in Cantonese
Free of charge
Comics artist Chi-tak Li reads literature works by Kafka and interprets them into comics. After you reading Kafka by Chi-tak Li, how would you interprets the comics work? Is it adapting text using comics language? Or is it a visualisation of literature classics? Why is Kafka engaging? You are invited to join the discussion of comics X literature X Kafka and share your thoughts of Kafka with Chi-tak Li.
Write a piece of review of Kafka in no more than 200 words and send to Facebook @hkacchb / Instagram @comixhomebase by 24th August (Tue). The 10 participants whose review attracts Chi-tal Li will be invited to the Kafka Reading Group, share how fascinating Kafka is with Chi-tak Li and fans.
Prize Game — Trace & Jot
Date: 04.08 - 30.08.2021
Time: 09:00 - 23:00
Venue: Jockey Club Atrium, G/F to 3/F, Hong Kong Arts Centre
Free of charge
‘Grey’ could be a connection between Chi-tak Li and Kafka—their works are obscure and leave room for imagination. Besides of this, what else do they have in common? You are invited to explore the other possibilities in the prize game—Trace & Jot, trace back the keys to be a creative master!
Clue words are hidden in the wall motif in the exhibition. Trace for three words that best describe ‘the creative connection between Chi-tak Li and Kafka’. Jot down the words with your creative explanations on the provided papers and submit onsite. The most creative TWO submissions selected by comics artist Chi-tak Li and be prized a HKAC | MOLESKINE | CHI-TAK LI Crossover Notebook with Li’s autograph!
Book Signing Session @Hong Kong Book Fair 2021
Date & Time:
16.07.2021 (Fri) 18:30 - 20:30
18.07.2021 (Sun) 16:00 - 18:00
Venue: Today Publications Booth (booth no.: 1A-C8-12), Hong Kong Book Fair, HKECE (1 Expo Drive, Wan Chai)
HKAC︱MOLESKINE︱CHI-TAK LI Crossover Notebook and comic book Kafka will also be launched on 14 July at the booth of Today Publications in Hong Kong Book Fair 2021, and the comics artist Chi-tak Li is going to show up in the book signing session.
How to join the Book Signing Sessions:
- Quota of each book signing session is 40 people;
- Queuing will be started 30 minutes before each book signing session;
- Present a receipt of purchasing Chi-tak Li’ s products at Today Publications booth in Hong Kong Book Fair gets a quota from one book signing session, each person is limited to one quota, on a first-come, first served basis;
- Each quota could maximum get TWO products purchased from Today Publications booth in Hong Kong Book Fair to be autographed (one product) and signed (one product);
- To reduce the risk of the spread of COVID-19, all participants should follow the precautionary measures implemented in the venue by Hong Kong Book Fair 2021;
- The presenters reserve the rights of final decision on the arrangement.
Book Set Special Offer
Date: 14.07 - 30.08.2021
During the book launch period, a special discount is offered for purchase in set of HKAC︱MOLESKINE︱CHI-TAK LI Crossover Notebook and comic book Kafka at HKAC Art Shop and online store (hkacartshop.store).
Book Set A $418
Book Set B $418
Book Set C $686
Original Price: HKAC︱MOLESKINE︱CHI-TAK LI Crossover Notebook ($288), Comic Book Kafka ($168)
Kafka Special Edition Pencil
Exclusive Gift: Get a Kafka special edition pencil for FREE!
How to get?
- Every purchase of Kafka comic book or/ and Crossover Notebook at HKAC Art Shop or online store gets a Kafka pencil for free;
- Every purchase of any Chi-tak Li comic book (Kafka, Moon of the Moon, Solar Eclipse) or/ and Crossover Notebook at Today Publications booth in Hong Kong Book Fair gets a Kafka pencil for free;
- Each person is limited to get maximum 3 Kafka pencils for free;
- The version of gifts will be given randomly. Gifts are limited on a first-come, first-served basis.
Enquiry: 25820200 / email@example.com
The presenter reserves the right to the final decision of the detailed arrangements of the events.
Chi-tak Li began his career in the comics industry in 1982. After working for a corporate comics publisher in Hong Kong for a month, he decided to start his own venture as a freelancer. Following on from the release of The Wisely series, he self-published Tong Men Shao Nian, a prominent title which rocketed him to fame in 1987. He has since developed a distinctive art style, creating his own visual world with eerily experimental works that broke genre rules.
Li’s transmedia creations transcend the boundary of comics and expand into movies, experimental theatres, literature, pop music and sculptures. His idiosyncratic style has attracted the attention and commissions from local and international brands. Li is also well-known in the international comics scene. His comics has been published in places like Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Mainland China, France and Italy since the 90s.
In 2016, the Hong Kong Arts Centre had jointly curated Li’s solo exhibition with the Angoulême International Comics Festival in France as one of the Festival’s thematic exhibitions. His French comics The Beast, a collaborative project with the famous Belgian writer Jean Dufaux, was released at the same time. This solo exhibition had given birth to another international cooperation opportunity. Li was invited by the Louvre Museum to create a full-length sci-fi comics Moon of the Moon. The French version was released in November 2019 in Europe and the Hong Kong Chinese version by the local publisher Today Publications in March 2020. His recent romance comics Yum Sui was published in 2021, and his new comic book Kafka is published to pay homage to Franz Kafka's literary classics in the same year.
The Moleskine notebook is the heir and successor to the legendary notebook used by artists and thinkers over the past two centuries: among them Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway and Bruce Chatwin.
A simple black rectangle that held the sketches, notes, stories and ideas that would one day become famous paintings or the pages of beloved books.
From the creative minds of the past to the makers of the future: today’s Moleskine objects are blank canvases that invite you to continue the story.
To reduce the risk of the spread of COVID-19, the presenter have implemented the following precautionary measures:-
- Self-taking body temperature checks are implemented at the main entrance of the venue, visitors are required to check their body temperature before entering. Presenter reserves the right to refuse entry to any persons who refuse to check their body temperature, or whose body temperature is higher than 37.5 degrees Celsius (as indicated by the temperature detector used by the presenter) or to those who have significant respiratory infections into the venue;
- Visitors are required to clean their hands with hand sanitizer prepared by themselves or provided by the presenter before admission;
- Visitors are required to wear their own mask inside the venue;
- Visitors are required to follow the venue instructions during the exhibition, maintain 1.5m social distance and avoid gathering more than four people.
The presenter will review the situation and adjust the measures if necessary. We appreciate your understanding.
The presenter reserves the rights of final decision on the arrangement.